Sunday, November 29, 2009

Media Meditation #7 Burton Does It Again


So the first thing that really got me about this video is the fact that it is a video at all! When I think about clothing lines, I think right away of catalogs, glossy, paper catalogs that I find in my mailbox, technological shift to be able to see a catalog on youtube.com. In this video, Burton is showing off their 2010 women’s line. What better way to showcase these jackets than to allow customers to see exactly how they fit on someone, how they move and how they zip or button up. No words are spoken, just images, an epistemological shift. The production technique used in this video is pretty unique as well, each girl puts on a jacket and then takes it off and tosses it out of the camera shot, the next scene, showcasing a totally different back drop has a new jacket falling from the angel the previous girl threw it. Cool tricks, simple yet clever.

The 4 minute long video catches the attention of my limbic brain right off with the repetitive beats that are playing in the background, Davey Rocket's “Upbeat Heartbreak” to be exact. Another thing that catches me (and my limbic brain) in the video are the gorgeous backdrops that change every time the jacket changes. I would expect to see all snow but Burton is keeping it fresh by showing that their jackets and apparel can be sported not just on the slopes with their shots of fields, tunnels and streets in the flick. (Tapping into people’s emotions here with a bit of emotion transfer as they view each scene? I think so)

I found out about this video via Twitter when not only Burton Snowboards tweeted about it, showing us a personal shift but some others who had worked on it or were just giving shout outs to some of the girls in it. Another case of Twitter being a great marketing tool and way to spread a link around the Internet. The girls in the video are professional riders on the Burton Women’s Team along with some of the Shop Girls. Pretty cool to see people you look up to modeling a coat you could be wearing… persuasive technique of using beautiful people

Rad. Corporate. Good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment